Saturday, June 25, 2016

Dull not device by coldness and delay...

We have now had our first two audiences, and it has been very instructive.  As it always is.  Tonight, the whole play came into focus for everybody.  Phillip is still playing catch up, but what he is doing with only 4 rehearsals is remarkable.  It's coming.  Tomorrow (well, technically later tonight) is what we consider our real opening night.  And I'm really excited for it. 

I feel so fortunate to be able to play my dream role, and to do it with some of my best friends!  (And I've collected some more ridiculously talented friends this year). Ok, so I know I seem to say this every year, but this group of people may be the most talented and wonderful cast we've ever assembled.  I am absolutely in love with all of them.  And I usually only feel that when I'm directing.  When I'm acting, there's always that one...oh crap...the saying goes that there's always "one" in any group, and if you can't figure out who it is, it's you.  So, maybe I'm the one.  But if that's the case, then everybody in the cast is like Iago-level good liars.  Because they seem to think I'm ok.

I am also beyond blessed to have Stephanie Coltrin as my director once again.  There are just some artistic partnerships that make the whole better than the sum of its parts.  We have absolutely the same aesthetic and bring out the best in one another.  We have almost developed a sibling like language.  Our conversations go something like this:
Me-"So that moment in the..."
Her-"Yeah, I thought so too..."
Me-"Should I just (vague hand gesture)"
Her-"Exactly what I was thinking."
(and scene).

I feel like I'm ready now for this thing to take off.  My mentor (Jack Stehlin, of whom I've written many times and to whom I owe my very way of working) talks about staying out in front, so the play is able to work through you.  It's much better when he says it, but the idea is that as actors we are in absolute service to the text.  We must understand how every second works, down to the specific word choices and those must appear to be coined in the very moment.  And only then are we ready to let the work play through us.  Tonight, I found that space.  That channel in which I was able to let it flow and let it fly.  And it was fun.  Beyond fun. 

And I wasn't alone.  The entire production took a giant leap forward tonight.  Everybody was in it.  The audience was in it...man, that's the best when there's that energy coming back at you.  Every scene was cooking, even the ones that our new Othello is still getting into his bones.  There was a moment when he turned to me and mouthed "what's next?", and I whispered back "Arise."  And just like that back in it...and united together.  It was cool.  And what's crazy is that in a week, when all of it is in his bones and he's finding things that it's taken me 6 weeks to find, this thing is going to take off.

Which is not to say you shouldn't come to our opening later tonight.  Because it's ready to launch now.  But it's going to be one of those productions that will demand another viewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment