Monday, July 25, 2022

'Tis here but 'tis yet confused

I started to write this blog on July 3rd, but I was typing on my laptop and my dumb hands deleted what I had written. So, I don't know what I was going to say, which sort of fits perfectly with the quote that I chose for this blog entry.

I am now back in Los Angeles. In fact, I have just stepped into a production for Much Ado About Nothing with my home theatre, Shakespeare by the Sea, for two performances because the fella who plays Borachio got Covid. So, it's been a whirlwind of a week. Drove 24 hours worth of miles in 30 hours. Got home Tuesday, found out Thursday that I was going on the following day, and played Borachio twice--on book, but largely improvised. It was great fun, and the show is delightful.  The cast really lovely! 

I used to say that the only place I felt safe was onstage, but I think now that the only place I am truly free is onstage. I am a fish and the stage is my ocean. I can breathe and exist. Without it, I suffocate and die. I played with the audience tonight, as only clowns can. And it was so much fun. I don't often get to play clownish roles, but when I do, I love to have fun with the crowd. 

My time in Omaha was wonderful. Of course there were difficulties--there always are. But, I felt my dad's spirit with me performing in front of his people. The people of Omaha were so kind, gracious, supportive, and loving that I will always be grateful to them for reminding me that I'm pretty darn good at this thing I do. I was asked if I would do it again, and I answered that it would be up to my family. I can't begin to repay my lovely, and talented wife for holding down the fort for two months with a full time job, and two kids finishing up their school years. But I'm trying. Maybe if they come a-callin', I'll work something out so I can bring the kids with me and give Annie a couple of kid free months. It's a double edged sword, as I found out. But she definitely deserves a good long break. Being home has been so sweet. And while I can breathe when I'm onstage, my heart beats only because I have a family to love.

There is a sort of momentum happening right now, career wise, which is both exciting and unexpected. This understudy gig popped up out of the blue, and I get to go on for closing night of Romeo and Juliet as Mercutio and the Prince. I promise to be much older and less attractive than Brendan is, but I am excited to have one last crack at Mercutio. I love Brendan's take on him, and am going to do my best to honor his choices, while coming from my own, much older and less attractive self.  I will say that my Prince will be much more age appropriate than he is, so that's one in favor of me.

I am also auditioning for the theatre that canceled Grand Concourse last year because of Covid. Unfortunately, they aren't putting that play back in the season, but there are some roles for me in the 2023 season. I'm looking forward to that. And speaking of gaining back what was lost during Covid, we are finally about to start "Almost Maine" at the Rubicon in a few weeks. We have a couple new cast members and a slightly new version of the script, but this truly marks a bookend to the pandemic for me. And although I know that this virus is likely here forever, and will continue to disrupt our lives and art, but here we are two and a half years later finally in a better place to survive it. I do have to say that being in Ventura is a much easier distance to deal with than being in eastern Nebraska. I can come home every night, if I need to...or want to, which I just may. 

I have stories to tell from my adventure in Omaha, but I'll put that in another blog. For now, I'm happy to be home, and happy to have some work to look forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment