Thursday, August 18, 2016

From this time forth, I never will speak word.

So, only one performance remaining of "Othello."  I will miss it and these people so much.  This has been the role I most wanted to play since I knew I wanted to be an actor.  I hope (and think) I did justice to it.  I wish I could keep playing this role for the rest of my life.  This could be my Yul Brynner King role.  But, alas, all good things must come to an end.

I always love closing night as an actor.  I mean, it's usually a bittersweet event.  The people in any given show usually become very close.  For us at SBTS, they become family.  I was actually just exchanging texts with my friend Matt with whom I worked back in 2003.  That cast was simply filled with the greatest people ever.  Although, I'd say that this summer gives that one a run for the money.  Matt is a talented musician as well as an actor, and his band "The Battlefield" is AMAZING!  Buy their album.  It's great.  I also traded messages today with Maria, who played my daughter in 2007's "Merchant of Venice."  I call her my eldest daughter.  And she now has a baby, which makes me a faux-grandpa. That season had a real family vibe.  As does this one.

And so...although this season is (sadly) coming to a close, I have made new family.  And nothing is better than that.  Of course much of my previous family is still here.  From Cy, my brilliant younger brother to BJ, my adopted son who didn't need a parent, but I stole him anyway just because I love him so much.  And, of course, Stephanie!  My other artistic half.  Olivia, the sunlight in our lives.  Dorian, that genius cousin who we all marvel at but to whom we are still compelled to give noogies.  My young doppleganger, Michael, who not only Stage Managed the hell out of Othello, but is awesome in Cymbeline.  Ryan, who I met when he was a kid and he returned as a full grown man is doing great work in both shows.  Chris Aaron/Nelson who is my drinking/carpool buddy (not at the same time) who was so there for me when I played Antony years ago, and whose Hubert stole the show. (Although nobody is sure what his last name is).  

So, I know I've been flippant about that other show in this blog.  The Cymbeweenies haven't really got their due.  But I'm really proud of the work that they are doing. (And the kick ass sword fights that I chorographed--what, you think I couldn't somehow make this about me?  c'mon).  Aside from those I've mentioned previously--Christopher and Iyan (who somehow turned into an old, married couple this summer) are terrific. Olivia, who I will mention again because she's my all-time fave kills it.  And BJ (ditto) gives the comedic performance of all time as Cloten-- there are a few actors in that show that aren't in Othello who I would like to mention.  I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with these people.  I mean, Greg is my boy.  He's killing it as Pisanio.  Just as he did for me as Francis Flute, Orlando, and Owen Glendower/Peto/Blunt.  And Andy!  My angry fairy in Midsummer returned to us again this year--and all my days are better when he is in them.  Then there are also those that I have never worked with.  It's weird not doing both plays this year.  (Sure, I choreographed the fights, but I didn't get to work with everybody).  Carlos was supposed to be in Othello, but had to leave.  Luckily he was able to stay in Cymbeline, because he's awesome.  His Frenchman is legendary.  Stacy is such a lovely Imogen.  I wish I had the chance to work with her.  I saw her in my friend Drew's "Comedy of Errors" years ago and have loved her ever since. Steve came in late to take on the title role.  Kudos.  And Andria is my "talent crush" this summer.  I don't know if you know what that is.  But it's when you love somebody's work so much that you totally fan-boy (or girl) over them, you totally have a talent crush.  Her Queen is likely the inspiration behind  the phrase "Yaaaas, Kween!"  Shut up with your talent, girl.  Amazing.

I know this is sort of a love letter.  But I love these people!  And I love all those who make the festival go.  Lisa who made this amazing thing exist.  Suzanne, who raises money and is also the driving force behind Little Fish's success.  Aiden who came on as sound designer.  Our wonderful costumers, Michael Mullen (who gave me a black costume made of wool, lined with pieces of the sun and two cloaks during the hottest summer on record...but damn it, I look good) and Allison Dillard who made lovely costumes for Cymbeline (especially what Iyan wears...it's the best) but also was great in helping Othello get up and running.  And so many others!  Jacob, Jerry, Kira, Sara, Cindy, Alicia, Dency, Pastrami Mike!  I'm sure I'm forgetting many.  This festival runs on love and passion.  And everybody has tons of it.

As I said earlier, closing night is special to me.  I don't know why, but for me it is easier to hear everything for the first time when it is the last time. I am able to be more present and "in the moment."  I know that it is my job every night; (I think this is the first semi-colon I have used since I graduated college...wish I knew if I used it correctly) but hey, I suck. I feel like I'm at my best on that last performance.  (Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.)  But I think if you've seen the show before and liked it (or even if you didn't), you may want to come out on Friday and see it again.  It's grown a lot over the summer.  (It always does).  And the care and love we have poured into this summer will be palpable, I think (and hope).  Looking forward to getting on that stage one last time with the Cymbeweenies and the Hothellos.  (Yes, I'm looking at you Booey, Phil, and Jessica who I have mentioned at length in other blogs). 

This blog contained more ( ) than any other in history.  You're welcome.  Thanks for reading.  My next blog will be all about Moonlight and Magnolias which will open at the Rubicon in Ventura in two weeks.  (But will be mostly about me, because "that's how limited my horizons are."--hey, that's a line from the play).

Thanks for everything.  Not only my tens of readers, but also for the tens of thousands of fans who have turned up to see the show.  It's and honor to be Iago for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment