Monday, August 1, 2016

Put up your bright swords or the dew will rust them.

Ok, so I fell behind on the blog by a week.  I have no excuse.  I'm the worst. 

This summer continues to be epic.  In fact, the only two negative things about this summer are that I'm always sweating (in my 30 lbs. of costumes) and feel very bad for everybody who has to interact with me because I stink.  (This makes me sad and ashamed).  Also, we have had the roughest time with sword rust this summer.  It has never been an issue before.  I think we have finally figured it out and are fighting back, but it was crazy. 

We had two shows during the week that I missed blogging about.  Here's a quick recap.  We were in Huntington Beach.  It was hot. The truck was 20 minutes late (effing Lodovico).  It was our first time at that venue, and it was really nice.  Although it was like the Pokemon apocalypse out there.  We were right at a gym and a poke stop.  Many, many Pokemon-Go players were all up in our business.  As for the show, it went well, despite the heat (which is now the new normal). My Sister-and-Brother- in-Law were there.  Also a friend who I did a show with in 2000, brought his daughters, the youngest of whom was born on our closing night all those years ago.  In a blink of an eye she's 16.  I'm old. 

We also did Rossmoor.  This is a great location, and the local cable station always records the show.  Sometime in the future, it will be online.  I'll post it.  You can watch it, if you can't see it live.  Theatre always loses something when recorded, but they do a good job with 3 cameras.  Oh, and it was hot.  Also, we almost got in a bar fight.  And Christopher is a pool hustler.  Too bad this is just a short recap, because those are some good stories.  Oh, and Chris and I both caught Picachu. 

So this week has been pretty incredible.  We got to do the show 4 times.  Meaning the Cymbe-weenies (TM by Jessica) only had one show this week.  And each show and venue were vastly different.  On Wednesday we performed in a graveyard.  It used to be a little weird for me to do that, but this time I thought that if I were buried there and still had some sort of consciousness floating around tied to my dead body I'd really be quite happy if I got to see a play from time to time.  Poor Stephanie came all the way down,--with the flu-- to check in with us to see just how much we had screwed up her show.  Fortunately for us (but sadly for her) she spent much time vomiting.  I am happy to report that this was in no way attributable to our performance.  Hope you feel better, Steph!  We miss you.  It was crazy hot.  I had some friends show up that I hadn't seen in ages.  It's really great how many people are coming out.  I don't remember much about the performance, because I had heat stroke, but I did give my phone to Jessica to catch Pokemon.  She caught me (not me...I mean my eldest daughter, because it's totally her game on my phone...) Jigglypuff.  (I must mention that I'm sure I'm spelling these names incorrectly because Pokemon was a thing after my youth.  But when in Rome...)

Thursday we went down to Santa Ana.  And I have to tell you the experience that we had there is why we come back year after year.  Santa Ana is a relatively new tour location. I think this is our fifth year there.  (It was well known as the park with the loud parrots that nearly ruined "Midsummer" before this year).  They only commission one show.  This year, it was us.  But unbeknownst to us, the seniors at the senior center right there in the park have been studying Othello for months.  They read it together and have done art projects.  They presented us with one after the show, and then we wandered through their art gallery where they had painted handkerchiefs (which is a big plot device in Othello) with different moments from the play.  It was one of the greatest things that I've ever experienced as an actor.  To have people so inspired by what we do that they create an art show about it is humbling and awesome.  And the work was terrific. 
This was my favorite.  I met Linda after the show.  She didn't speak English, but a friend translated for me how much she loved the show, and in fact, she was very vocal during the play.  Every time I came onstage she told everybody around her that I was "the poison."  They were all so lovely.  And the director of that senior center should get a raise.  What an amazing thing.  To inspire these wonderful elderly folk to learn about a play and to create art around it.  They will be auctioning off these pieces sometime in the future.  If somebody wants to bid on this one for me, I wouldn't mind. Seriously, this was such a touching tribute to us, and we were all so moved.  This is why we do what we do. Bringing Shakespeare to people who haven't seen it, but desperately want to.  Great.   The park is shady, which was great, and the parrots weren't all that bad, which was greater, but it was so humid that we were chewing our words and breathing hard.  Damn it.  I'm so sweaty and stinky.  I'm sorry if you come hug me and have to smell me.

Friday we were in Torrance.  Where I live. In a park to which I take my kids.  Five minutes from my home.  Glorious.  (Jessica gets infuriated every time she drives by Torrance, because Iyan, Chris, and I all live here and it is so much closer to nearly everything we do than she is.  That is my third mention of Jessica in this blog.  She wins the week!)  I love this venue.  And not just because of the proximity to my home.  Wilson Park has a big hill which the audience sits on with us at the bottom.  There were nearly 800 people in attendance, and they are all right there!  On top of us.  And man, did they love them some Iago.  It's funny, because Wednesday was pretty quiet.  Thursday had a vocal audience that called me poison and wasn't having any of my shenanigans, but Friday night, I had nearly 800 accomplices.  The Torrance folk were on board with Iago's plan for the beginning.  And what's so brilliant about what Shakespeare does in this play is that he has Iago tell the audience exactly what he is going to do, makes them complicit in a way, and then with the audience in on the conceit, Iago pretends to be the most honest, trustworthy person that ever lived.  This was my favorite performance to date (maybe of any play ever).  To have that sort of energy coming at me from those 800 souls pushed me to greater joy and heights.  And having such a huge crowd requires extra energy anyway.  I literally felt like I was floating off the ground with all the amazing energy that was pouring my way from that audience.  Of course I had some of the best friends in the house as well.  You are supposed to give the same effort every night, and I try, but I had people there that I love and admire and I really wanted to give them everything that I had.  And I think everybody felt the same way.  The show was on fire.  Thank you Torrance for being the greatest.  Also, it wasn't hotter than the sun here.

We had Saturday night off.  That other show did a performance in Torrance.  Which I'm sure was great...whatever. (How about those fights?)  And during that day off, my body decided to let down its guard.  And I awoke Sunday with my throat on fire.  A fever.  And diarrhea.  Sorry to be so graphic.  I don't think that Steph gave me her plague, although I'm not ruling that out.  I blame my kids.  Before I had them, I was sick once a year.  Now?  Every month or so one of them brings some vile illness into our home.  Ugh, kids.  So, I tried to rest all I could Sunday.  I was on vocal rest, because I really can't afford to lose my voice...I talk a lot.  We were in Long Beach and Jessica wasn't there (fourth mention, which is one more mention than shows she did this week.)  Here's the thing about SBTS.  We do our best to cast the best people.  Sometimes that means we have to arrange for understudies throughout the summer.  It's a long time to commit to a project that pays very little (financially, although as I hope you have gleaned, what we receive beyond the cash is amazing).  Tara, who filled in so fabulously for Olivia as Emelia a couple of weeks ago was supposed to understudy.  But here's the thing.  Tara is also the managing director at Little Fish Theatre.  And they are in tech for "Rapture, Blister, Burn" (opening next Friday with a killer cast and director) and she just couldn't do both.  So she called in the big guns.  Dana DeRuyck.  This is one of my favorite LA actresses.  I will admit that I'm a bit of a fanboy.  I try to see everything she does.  She's super dope.  So, although I was sad that Tara wouldn't be rejoining us--not a bad plan B.  Dana learned the role in 2 days.  (Bianca and a Senator in 2 days.)  And she had the absolute best attitude one can have.  She threw herself into it with copious study and reckless abandon.  And she killed it.  Sure, she may have been a tad late on an entrance, but we are so used to throwing people in the mix that the play didn't miss a beat.  She's very impressive.  I hope those of you who are her friends, and haven't seen our show come on out to support her this coming week, as now she has one under her belt and will only continue to slay.  (We miss you, Jessica.  --5th mention, a new record.--  And you did an amazing job of overstudying...yeah, I just made that up).  Tonight may have been the hottest I've ever been.  Sure, I had a fever.  But beyond that, it was hot.  We were at another new venue.  In Long Beach at Caesar Chavez park.  It was great.  A very different type of crowd from Friday.  This audience was not rooting me on.  They were horrified by what I was doing.  One of the best things for us is introducing Shakespeare plays to people who have never seen it.  There was one point tonight when I was working on Othello that somebody yelled out "Treachery!"  She was into it.  And later in the show when I stabbed Emelia, not only were we met with the usual "awwwwws" of disapproval, but somebody yelled out "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"  That's great.  That visceral response to a 400 year old piece of text is proof that it's still current and important as any piece of work since.  It's odd being sick during a show.  Adrenaline kicks in and the show does go on.  But things are just different.  You have to focus differently.  There is no auto pilot to engage. And words that you know as well as you know your name can escape you for a moment.  I don't have that third eye on Sunday's performance that I usually have.  I was in full on survival mode, as was Dana.  And I think we were both successful.  Did I mention that it was hotter than the surface of the sun?  So very hot!  Not helpful.  I had some very good friends in the audience.  I'm not sure if I gave them the best show.  I did give them the best one that I was capable of.  I guess that's all we can do.

Ok, so I'd like to talk about some other people in the company now.  I feel guilty utilizing my blogs so much on me.  It's very Iago-centric.  (By the way, we learned from our senior friends in Santa Ana that Iago is short of Santiago.  It was the war cry of the Spanish soldiers against the moors who cried "Allah."  They cried "Iago."  I think he may have been a great general.  Our friends in Santa Ana taught us this, who also studied the script in Spanish. 

Phillip has really gown every show.  Dana stepping into Bianca in two days was very impressive.  Phil stepping into Othello in two weeks is ridiculous.  I think his best show was at Rossmoor.  He was on fire.  (and you'll be able to see that performance online soon).  Our scenes are crackling now.  Our General is arrived! 

BJ was amazing tonight.  Our scene together (and you will notice that even when I'm trying to make this about other people I include myself...I told you, I am the worst) when he is talking about his reputation was so good!  I had the best seat in the house to a master class in acting.  I just tried to keep up.  It was so full!  There may never have been a better Cassio than my dear friend BJ.  Nor may there ever be again.  I've never seen one.

Olivia and I have found our onstage relationship!  This curious marriage between two very strong willed, intelligent people.  (Again, all about how things relate to me...sue me, I'm sick).  I love her so much.  As you may have read before, she's not only one of "my guys," but my favorite.  This is still true.  And what has been key for me in playing this role is to have an Emelia that means the world to me.  The whole reason for my revenge is my jealousy and love for her clouding my judgement.  Our onstage relationship has become very nuanced.  We are a good match.  We fight well together, but we've also found some tenderness.  I think this is why it causes such outrage when I kill her. 

Ok, I will write more later and include less of me, and more of them.  But I'm tired now, and I'm sure this blog is so long that only people in the show are still reading.  But if you are one of those who aren't in the show and are reading, hope you come out and see us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment