Wednesday, August 10, 2016

This may do something...

We have hit the home stretch with our season.  We never really had that breaking point that usually happens during the summer.  I mean, we had some minor dust ups.  We had a lot of costume racks breaking, and set pieces and costumes needing repair.  But this group of actors are unbreakable.  (Except physically.  Physically, we've all been broken.  Dorian broke his toe, but still performed like a stud.  Christopher hurt his shoulder, but he can't help but be a stud.  My back is a mess, but Iago takes control of my system and doesn't let me worry about it.  Everybody has bumps and bruises...but our spirits are unbroken).

There's so much to talk about this week, but I'm afraid that in this twitter age, people can have no attention span.  So I will do this blog a little differently.  Short and sweet moments of awesomeness.

--I am unbelievably grateful and humbled by all the people who have answered my facebook begging to come out and see this show.  People that I haven't seen  in a decade have turned up.  And I love you all so much for doing that. 

--I feel like every bit of training I ever had has been incorporated in playing this role.  It all starts with Jack Stehlin (founder and artistic director of the New American Theatre Company), who gave me a way of working.  He is the best actor I know.  The best teacher I ever had.  The reason that I never quit working is because he never quits, and never quit on me. 

--We were in Whittier on Wednesday.  I have seen this venue grow over the years.  When we first went there, we had to compete with people playing basketball behind us (screaming a shouting), roosters cock-adoodle-doo-ing, and a very small crowd.  But here we are nearly a decade later, and Whittier is filled with lovely Shakespeare fans who are excited to have us back year after year.  One audience member made BJ a bracelet saying "Horatio" because he had played that role a few years ago.  Where else does that happen?  And I was delighted to see a friend from New American there.  Also my Natalie.  (Ok, maybe Booey's Natalie).  She was Phoebe for me last year. (but went to school with Missy). You can read all the blogs about how awesome she is on the sbts page.

--Back to my training for a second, I am so grateful to Denise Gabriel who was my movement teacher at ASF where I got my MFA.  Some of the kindest things I've heard about my performance is how well I move and embody Iago.  I didn't even know what to do with my hands before I met Denise.  She smashed my habits to pieces.  As with all training, we continue to implement it, but I feel like I've started to master her work.

--Melissa Booey is a great actress.  Her Desdemona is everything.  Of course everybody is in love with her.  How could they not be?  She's also amazing to work with.  So young, and so talented.  It isn't fair.

--I have also had many people tell me that we make the Shakespearean language so accessible.  A lot of this is because Stephanie cut the script so brilliantly.  And the rest of it is because everybody on that stage is trained to deliver.  If you go to see Shakespeare and you don't understand it, it's because the actors didn't do their jobs.  At ASF, I studied with Ray Chambers who is one of the best classical actors in the world.  We were relentless in diving into the text. 

--The Slow Motion stuff in the show seems to be working.  Steph staged the scene between Roderigo and me making the plan to oust Cassio in slow mo, and I thought it was cool.  I asked if she thought it would be stupid to do some slow motion fight choreography to show Iago's descent into true villainy.  She thought it was a great idea.  And people seem to dig it.  I wish I could see it.

--At New American Theatre, I am also very fortunate to work with Fred Molina.  I have worked with both Fred and Jack on several of my soliloquies as Iago over the past decade.  I always hoped I would get the chance to play this part.  Having them coach me years ago, gave me the confidence that I could.

--If you need an understudy that not only delivers the role, but also fits in with a cast and is a delightful human being, Dana DeRuyck is your actor.  So glad I got to work with her this week.  We love her.

--Encino was awesome this year.  Not hotter than the sun, and we had about 800 people in attendance.  Including my Maggie (who played Rosalind for me).  It's crazy being a part of something like this for so long.  So many special moments.  I'm really proud of those three shows that I directed.  But more proud of the fact that I brought so many like minded artists together...who will be forever working together.  Also my Kathryn was there.  She was my Titania/Hippolyta and also Old Adam/Audrey.  Family.  That's what we all really are.

--What is it that makes SBTS so special?  Lisa created this thing as her thesis project 19 years ago, and I'm sure she had no idea that it would be so beloved.  It's crazy, but I think the thing that makes it so special is how hard it is.  Only those with the purest of intentions would ever agree to do what we do.  Our entire summer is spent rehearsing and performing two shows, and taking them on the road all over southern CA.  And we set up and take down the set every night.  And we have to show up in different parks each night and figure out how they work?  And we are making maybe enough money for the whole thing to pay for our gas?  Sure, I wish we were making real money, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.  I have met the best people in the world doing this...both those who do and those who come to see and participate.  It is special.  It's one of those things that one does to make a life, and not merely a living.

--BJ has declared that Pokemon Go is over, since we caught them all at Seal Beach.  (We didn't really, but man did we get a lot of them).  Also, after the Seal Beach show (where I had friends I hadn't seen in 10 years come...so awesome) we went to a place called the Hangout.  Great burgers.  Beer.  And watching the Olympics with actors is the most fun.  We are all experts, of course.  And seeing our girls kill it in the gymnastics team event was great.  Although we are all furious that Gabby had the third best score in the world but can't compete for gold in the overall.  Dumb rule.

--Congrats to Chris Nelson (our Brabantio and Montano) for being named the new head of drama at Downey High School.  They are lucky to have you and I'm sure you're going to bring great things to that school.

Ok, not sure if the bullet point blog was helpful or not, but at least you could skip around.  Only 3 shows left.  I'm usually ambivalent about the ending of the season.  But I don't want to ever stop playing Iago.  It's the most fun I've ever had onstage.  And although I'm looking forward to working on "Moonlight and Magnolias" with Steph and Cy and Joel at the Rubicon, I am not yet ready to let Iago go.   (IagoGo would be a great app.  See how many people you could betray.)  Clearly it's late.  See you all in Manhattan Beach on Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment